The ABC’s of Using Essential Oils
Your favorite candle or the new scented moisturizer you can't live without. Whether you realize it or not, essential oils are everywhere.
From perfumes and cosmetics to lotions, massage oils, household cleaners and even hand sanitizer, we have essential oils to thank.
These alluring scents can do more than just make everything smell better. Essential oils can also help soothe your mood and support everyday wellness.*
Here are some tips for how to make them a part of your everyday routine.
First let's start with the basics:
What are essential oils?
Simply put, essential oils are highly-concentrated liquids extracted from plants. These liquids contain hundreds of naturally occurring molecular compounds that capture the plant’s scent, or “essence.” At Forest Remedies, our high-quality essential oils are expertly-extracted to offer rich fragrances and lasting aromatherapy.
Are all essential oils created the same?
No. Some essential oils also contain solvents or other additives that can dilute their scent and staying power. The quality of the plant source can also differ. Some extracts may not even be from the source they claim and are instead made of synthetic ingredients blended to create a certain scent profile.
For this reason, it's always important to look for third-party testing to verify what you're actually purchasing. With Forest Remedies essential oils you can always count on pure botanical extracts sustainably-sourced from plants grown around the world. All of our products are third-party tested for safety, purity and potency.
What are some ways to incorporate essential oils into my daily routine?
Because of their high concentration, our essential oils can be experienced in a variety of ways. Here are a few suggestions on ways to use our essential oils:
- Add to a diffuser or humidifier
- Mix with water in a spray bottle to instantly refresh linens and to create your own room spray
- Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to skin to soothe pressure points
- Dilute with a carrier oil and add to your bath
- Diluted with a carrier oil to create your own luxe perfume or massage oil
- Dilute with a carrier oil and use to instantly refresh your face mask covering
- Use to create an all-natural fabric softener
Tips for how to safely use essential oils
If a busy lifestyle means you ease and convenience are a top priority, then simply open a bottle and just breath. Sometimes a quick whiff of peppermint is all you need to help jumpstart your day or get you out of a midday slump.
Here are a few other ways to use:
- On the go - Put a few drops on an accessory like a scarf or bandana.
- In public - You may not have a portable diffuser, but a cotton ball can help. Put a few drops of oil on it, enjoy your favorite fragrance anywhere.
- Before bed - When it's time to unwind, a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow or the outside of your comforter can help with peaceful sleep and relaxation.*
Just make sure to avoid direct skin contact unless you dilute your oil first (see below).
For a more intense delivery, add 3 - 12 drops of essential oil to a bowl of steaming water and inhale deeply for 5 - 10 minutes, up to 3 times a day.
Essential oils are great for soaking in the tub, just dilute in carrier oil and add to your bathwater. Adding them to your cosmetics and massage oils are great options as well. You can also apply them to individual joints, temples and pulse points.
Because of their high concentration, essential oils can irritate skin when applied without a carrier oil.
Follow this ratio to safely dilute your oils:
- 5 drops of essential oil in 1 tsp (5 mL) of our carrier oil.
How should I store them?
Keep your essential oils in their original packaging and store them in a cool dark place that is safely out of reach of children and pets. Replacing the cover immediately after use will help to preserve your Forest Remedies essential oils.
What other safety precautions should I follow?
Regardless of your format, it is important that you always read and follow individual product directions. Here are some general guidelines to help get you started:
- Always dilute according to individual product directions. If you intend to use essential oils topically or in a bath, be sure to read individual products’ instructions to see if you should avoid sun exposure.
- Never administer to infants, children, or animals. Not to be used by anyone who is pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Don’t apply to irritated or broken skin, and keep away from eyes and inner ears. Discontinue use if irritation or allergic reaction occurs after use.
- As with any health and wellness product, consult with your health-care provider before use.
Ready to unwind?
Visit our blog: 5 Easy ways to relax with essential oils for more ways to unwind with your favorite scents.